The Chelsea Police Department provides the following services to Chelsea residents and business owners. Completed application can be dropped off at the Chelsea Police Department’s Front Desk or mailed to the Chelsea Police Department, ATTN: Firearms Licensing, Chelsea, Massachusetts 02150.
License to Carry Firearms (LTC): Massachusetts requires persons to have a License to Carry Firearms in order to lawfully purchase or possess a handgun. A valid LTC will also allow persons to lawfully possess and purchase rifles or shotguns. You must be 21 to apply for an LTC. The application cost of an LTC is $100.00 and the license is good for 6 years.
Firearms Identification Card (FID): Massachusetts requires persons to have a Firearms Identification Card in order to lawfully purchase or possess a rifle or shotgun. You must be 18 to apply for an FID, or 14 – 17 with submission of a certificate of parent or guardian granting permission to apply for an FID Card. The application cost of an FID is $100.00 and the license is good for 6 years.
Firearms Identification Card – Restricted (FID): Massachusetts requires persons under the age of 18 to have a Firearms Identification Card – “Restricted” in order to lawfully purchase or possess self-defense spray. You must be 14 – 17 with submission of a certificate of parent or guardian granting permission to apply for an FID Card Restricted. The application cost of an FID Card Restricted is $100.00 and the license is good for 6 years.
Eligibility Requirements for a License to Carry Firearms (LTC):
The following are permanent disqualifiers for an LTC:
- Any felony conviction.
- Any drug violation conviction.
- Any violent crime conviction.
- Any misdemeanor conviction punishable by more than two years imprisonment.
LTC Applicants must:
- be a citizen of the United States, and must submit proof of citizenship. Naturalized citizens must submit your Certificate of Naturalization.
- be a legal resident of Chelsea or own a business in Chelsea.
- be at least 21 years of age.
- not have any outstanding warrants against you.
- not be defendant of a current restraining order, suspension or surrender order.
- wait five years if you have been treated or confined for drug addiction or alcoholism and submit an affidavit from a registered physician stating that you have been cured.
- submit an affidavit from a registered physician if you have been confined to a hospital or institution for mental illness. The affidavit must state that that the physician is familiar with your condition and that in their opinion there is no reason why you should not possess a handgun, rifle or shotgun.
Massachusetts LTC/FID Application Instructions
- Download the LTC/FID application.
- Fill out your application completely, and truthfully.
- Print your application clearly and neatly, and provide your current telephone number.
- When selecting a license type, only select one type.
- Provide two references as requested.
When submitting your application please provide the following:
- A copy of your current Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Certificate.
- A copy of your Massachusetts Hunter Safety Certificate (for FID cards only).
- A copy of your proof of citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization.
- Proof of Residency.
- Application fee of $100.00 (cash, money order or bank check) NO personal checks accepted.
LTC and FID renewal applicants must fill out and sign a lost/stolen firearms affidavit. Prior to signing and submitting your completed LTC/FID application, read the warning regarding submitting an application with false information. False information may result in criminal charges, and WILL result in your application being denied.
If your application for a LTC or FID is denied, you will be notified by mail with a letter explaining the reason(s) for being denied. Your notice will also advise you of your right to appeal the Chief’s decision to the appropriate District Court.
Recent changes to Massachusetts firearms laws now require LTC and FID applicants to now provide a signed affidavit of lost/stolen firearms. This only applies to those renewing their licenses.
After your application has been processed you will be contacted to come to the Chelsea Police Department to be interviewed, finger printed, and photographed. At that time you will receive a receipt of your application having been received and processed.
As stated previously, please print your applications as neatly and clearly as you can. If your telephone number, or any other information cannot be read, your application WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
When your application has been processed it will be submitted to the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau for final review. The time it takes for the State to process, approve, and deliver your license is out of the Chelsea Police Department’s hands. PLEASE refrain from multiple calls inquiring of your firearms license. When your LTC or FID is delivered for activation, you will be notified by telephone of your license being ready for you to take possession.