Apply for LTC & FID
EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2021
Firearm License to Carry & FID Card Application Process
Incomplete, Illegible applications will not be processed or several attempts to contact an LTC applicants will not be done. Uploaded files for LTC MUST BE IN A PDF format.
License to Carry Firearms (LTC): Massachusetts requires persons to have a License to Carry Firearms in order to lawfully purchase or possess a handgun. A valid LTC will also allow persons to lawfully possess and purchase rifles or shotguns. You must be 21 to apply for an LTC. The application cost of an LTC is $100.00 and the license is good for 6 years.
Firearms Identification Card (FID): Massachusetts requires persons to have a Firearms Identification Card in order to lawfully purchase or possess a rifle or shotgun. You must be 18 to apply for an FID, or 14 – 17 with submission of a certificate of parent or guardian granting permission to apply for an FID Card. The application cost of an FID is $100.00 and the license is good for 6 years.
Firearms Identification Card – Restricted (FID): Massachusetts requires persons under the age of 18 to have a Firearms Identification Card – “Restricted” in order to lawfully purchase or possess self-defense spray. You must be 14 – 17 with submission of a certificate of parent or guardian granting permission to apply for an FID Card Restricted. The application cost of an FID Card Restricted is $100.00 and the license is good for 6 years.
- All applications for firearms permits processed through Chelsea Police Department’s Firearm Licensing Unit.
- Per Massachusetts law, the Chelsea Police Firearms Licensing Unit can only accept and process applications for License to Carry (LTC) & Firearm Identification Card (FID) submitted by City of Chelsea residents and business owners.
- All LTC/FID applications and supportive documents for residency and safety certificate must be submitted via Email.
- Appointments for photographs and/or fingerprints will be scheduled by a Detective.
DO NOT DROP OFF OR MAIL YOUR APPLICATION IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU
- In order to apply for an LTC or FID card, the applicant must be statutorily qualified and be deemed a suitable person to possess and carry firearms in the Commonwealth.
THE FOLLOWING ARE PERMANENT DISQUALIFIERS FOR AN LTC:
- Any felony conviction.
- Any drug violation conviction.
- Any violent crime conviction.
- Any misdemeanor conviction punishable by more than two years imprisonment.
- LTC Applicants must:
- be a citizen of the United States, and must submit proof of citizenship. Naturalized citizens must submit your Certificate of Naturalization.
- be a legal resident of Chelsea or own a business in Chelsea.
- be at least 21 years of age.
- not have any outstanding warrants against you.
- not be defendant of a current restraining order, suspension or surrender order.
- wait five years if you have been treated or confined for drug addiction or alcoholism and submit an affidavit from a registered physician stating that you have been cured.
- submit an affidavit from a registered physician if you have been confined to a hospital or institution for mental illness. The affidavit must state that that the physician is familiar with your condition and that in their opinion there is no reason why you should not possess a handgun, rifle or shotgun.
- details: https://www.mass.gov/lists/massachusetts-firearms-laws
- Once submitted via Email, appointments for LTC/FID applications will be scheduled by the Firearms Licensing Unit.
LTC/FID Application Forms:
Applicants are encouraged to complete the Massachusetts Resident LTC/FID/Machine Gun Application form online and once completed, all of the documents and forms may be emailed to the Licensing Unit. There is a link below for the application.
In addition to submitting the completed forms above, please bring the following required documents in their original form for verification to your appointment:
Evidence of Applicant’s Chelsea residency and/or business ownership as licensed with the City.
- Most recent utility bill listing Applicant’s name, such as electric, gas, cable, land line phone, etc.
- Current lease or rental agreement with the signature of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident. Leases/rental agreements that expire within 6 months (or are on a month to month basis) will require additional proof of long term residency
- If applicable, evidence of Chelsea business ownership, i.e., articles of incorporation, partnership agreement, tax returns, licenses/permits, etc.
Evidence of Identity:
At least one of the following: Unexpired MA driver’s license or learner’s permit, or MA Identification Card, license to carry firearm, current photo college ID card from a U.S. university, college or technical college (Must contain student name and photograph).
Evidence of Lawful U.S. Status:
At least of the following: U.S. passport and passport card, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), U.S. birth certificate (Accepted along with other form of a valid photo identification).
Required Documents for First-Time Applicants Only:
- Firearms Safety Certificate or Hunting Safety Course Certificate from a certified MA instructor. Active military personnel are exempted from Firearm and Hunting Safety Certificates requirement
- Special Requirement for Minors: FID Applicants between the ages of 14-18 years of age must be in the company of their parent/guardian, who must consent to the Applicant’s obtaining an FID card.
LTC Applicants: The non-refundable application fee of $100.00 payable to the City of Chelsea by a bank check or money order. Cash or personal checks are not accepted. For applicants under the age of 18, the fee is $25. (Fees are waived for renewal applicants 70 years of age or older). The fee is $25 for FID applicants.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, applications for firearms license are delayed. Once received an appointment will be scheduled by the Firearms Licensing Unit.
Please be sure to have submitted your completed forms online with the required attachments in order to expedite the appointment process.
The application process may take several weeks. Calling or emailing the Unit does not expedite the process as Officers are routinely out of the office for extended periods conducting investigations.
If your application for a LTC or FID is denied, you will be notified by mail with a letter explaining the reason(s) for being denied. Your notice will also advise you of your right to appeal the Chief’s decision to the appropriate District Court.
The above licensing requirements for the City of Chelsea may not be reflective of those of other jurisdictions.
Massachusetts License to Carry Firearms Application
Change of Address Notification for LTC and FID